Top 10 Things You Should Know About Me
1. I love cupcakes. I will run a mile for a cupcake. You will never make me quit cupcakes.
2. I loathe diet food. Pre-packaged, microwaveable diet foods are what the Devil serves at Thanksgiving. I promise, you can cook yummy, healthy things without resorting to diet foods.
3. I’m not sure that I’ll ever be a runner. I mean, I run. But I don’t think I’m a runner, because I still don’t love it. But I love how it makes me feel. So I will keep plodding along.
4. I’m super duper accident prone. I took a chunk out of a wall with a kettle bell. I also hit myself in my own butt with a kettle bell. I once got stuck in a nautilus machine. Which means if I can take on an exercise, anybody can.
5. I had to write a memoir in order to get healthy. That isn’t the case for everyone. But for me, writing a memoir helped me find some grace for myself. Which helped me understand that I was valuable enough to take care of.
6. Gimmicks have never worked for me. I tried low carb and slow carb and carb loading. I was a vegetarian for a week. I tried clean eating until I realized Diet Dr. Pepper wasn’t “clean” (blasphemy!) Bottom line, for me, none of it was maintainable.
7. I use my kitchen scale a hundred times a day. Okay, not quite a hundred. But I have NO CONCEPT of portion sizes. So I measure, measure, measure.
8. There’s an app for that. MyFitnessPal was a game-changer for me when it came to getting healthy. I had no idea how many calories I was consuming. Now I do. Sticker shock sucked, but I am so much more informed now!
9. Getting an elliptical machine was also a game-changer. Again, it’s what worked for me. I was never much of a “gym girl” but when a friend moved and sold me her elliptical, I finally began working out consistently for the first time ever.
10. I’m not healthy for you. Or you. Especially not you. I didn’t get healthy (and by default lose weight) to get a man. To have a pretty Facebook picture. So people will love me and throw glitter on me when I walk by. Because none of that has happened. Still no man. Still mediocre Facebook profile pics. And not everyone has been super-supportive (though SO many have been!) I did this because I deserved it (see number 5). And because I want to live a long, full, healthy life.